The Relationships in STEM Education (RiSE) Program is a student support program for Edmonds College students interested in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM).
RiSE began as a project funded by the National Science Foundation under their STEP Program, which aims to increase the workforce of Americans in the STEM fields. In 2011, Edmonds College was awarded funds for five years to increase the number of students studying and earning degrees in STEM fields through community outreach, student support activities, and curriculum redesign efforts.
Seeing the success of the project, the need for the services and resources that RiSE provided, and the community building that was able to take place as a result of this project, RiSE continues today thanks to Services and Activities (S&A) funding provided by Edmonds College.
Through personalized support and community building, RiSE aims to increase the number and the diversity of students successfully earning degrees in STEM fields.
Resources and Benefits
- A community of peers in STEM
- Academic and professional development workshops
- Priority registration for field trips and workshops
- STEM faculty or staff mentor
- Mentor review of quarterly Academic Progress Report and goals
- Quarterly RiSE Mentor Social events
- Opportunities to help plan and lead field trips, workshops, and events
- Opportunities to do outreach at local high schools, colleges, etc.
- Near peer mentor with faculty/staff
- Career exploration events
- College-to-career guidance
Become a member of RiSE!
Membership forms are accepted on a rolling basis. After your information is processed, you will receive a welcome e-mail and invitation to a brief orientation with the RiSE Director.
Support for STEM Students
STEM Study Room (Snohomish 126)
Join us Spring 2020 for virtual tutoring, faculty office hours, and advising! For more information and to view the schedule, visit the STEM Study Room page.
RiSE Site for Students
Current and prospective RiSE students should visit the RiSE student site to learn about RiSE, view the event calendar, and explore available resources for STEM students.