When Everyone is Involved, Prevention is Possible
April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month
Every community, including our own, is affected by sexual assault. By working together to learn what constitutes Sexual Assault and its far-reaching Impacts, we are helping create a culture of safety, respect, and equity where Prevention is Possible.
In order to prevent sexual assault, we must be able to identify it. Sexual assault is any type of unwanted sexual contact and may include words and actions that are sexual in nature against a person’s will and without their consent. Without consent…it’s assault.
What is Sexual Violence? - National Sexual Violence Resource Center PDF
Sexual violence is a widespread problem that impacts survivors, loved one, communities and society. By understanding these impacts, we begin to see that it is everyone’s’ responsibility to help prevent it.
Impacts of Sexual Violence - National Sexual Violence Resource Center PDF
By working together, we can prevent sexual assault before it has a chance to happen. Individuals, communities and businesses all have a stake in this discussion. By challenging societal norms like oppression, and supporting programs and policies that promote safety, respect and equity, we can prevent sexual assault before it has a chance to happen.
Prevention is Possible - National Sexual Violence Resource Center PDF
If you or someone you know has experienced sexual violence, the following resources are available:
- Edmonds CC Counselling and Resource Center
- Snohomish County Domestic Violence Services: 425.25.ABUSE or 425.252.2873
- Statewide Domestic Violence Hotline: 1.800.562.6025
- Snohomish County Prosecutor (victim witness): 425.388.6323
- Protection Order Office: 425.388.3638
- Providence Everett Assault and Abuse Services: 425.258.7969
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
- RAINN - National Sexual Assault Telephone Hotline:1-800-656-HOPE (4673); Online Hot-line https://ohl.rainn.org/online/
- NW Network of Bisexuals, Trans, Lesbian and Gay Survivors Abuse: 206-568-7777