Culinary Arts

Do I need a health card?

The following information is provided for reference only.

Students should contact their local Health Departments for details in obtaining a FOOD AND BEVERAGE SERVICE WORKER'S PERMIT.

All cards are issued through Washington State Health Departments, not Edmonds Community College.

All Health Cards – $10.00

Cash only – No Canadian currency

5-year renewal card

  • Food handler must show either a current Health Card or a Health Card that has not been expired for longer than 30 days.

2-year card

  • For all new food handlers
  • For food handlers who do not have a current card or have lost their card
  • For food handlers whose card has been expired more than 30 days

Health cards are good for 2 or 5 years anywhere in the state of Washington. Should you leave your present job before the card expires, be sure to take the card with you.

We do not replace lost cards. You must retake the exam and pay an additional $10.00.

For more information, contact your Department of Public Health:

King County Department of Public Health
King County Administration Building
500 4th Ave. Room 214
Seattle WA 98104-2614
Hours: 8 a.m.-4 p.m., Mon.-Fri.

Snohomish County Health District
3020 Rucker Ave. Room 102
Everett WA 98201-3971
Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Mon.-Fri.

Island County Health District
6th and Main
Coupeville, WA 98239
Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Mon.-Fri.