Child, Youth, and Family Studies
For the health and safety of our community, all college offices have moved services online Wednesday, March 18 through Friday, April 24. College offices will reopen to the public on April 27.
Employees are serving students and the community remotely during this time. Please check back for updates on this website for access to services available online, by email, or phone.
Spring quarter registration is open. Register online at edcc.edu/schedule. Spring quarter classes begin April 13.
- 100% online instruction for ALL classes for spring quarter.
- Exception: Classes with a hands-on component will be online April 13 through May 17, then the hands-on portion of the class will be offered in person from May 18 through June 19. Social distancing guidelines will be followed.
All college updates, resources, and information about COVID-19 is available at edcc.edu/coronavirus. Thank you for your flexibility and understanding.
Enhance your career with an applied bachelor's degree!
The Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) Degree in Child, Youth, and Family Studies at Edmonds CC provides advanced knowledge and skills for professional positions in educational settings for young children and social services programs for youth and families. This degree is unique in its interdisciplinary model with emphasis on family systems, equity, and social justice.
Now accepting applications for the Fall 2020 cohort!
Please visit the Application Process page for further details.
What Does This Degree Look Like?
The Child, Youth, and Family Studies (CYFS) BAS degree is designed for working adults who have professional-technical academic backgrounds and strive to gain advanced skills, knowledge, and pathways to higher degree levels.
All CYFS courses are:
- Hybrid format
- Twice a week from 6-9 p.m., 10 credits/quarter
- Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarters
Additional General Education courses:
- Vary in time and modes of instruction based on individual student schedules
- Can be taken with CYFS courses, during Summer Quarters, and/or in a third year
What Do I Need Before Applying?
Students will have first completed an Associate in Applied Science - Transfer (AAS-T), or equivalent degree, in one of the following:
Students with an Associate of Technical Arts (ATA) degree, or similar, in one of the fields of study listed above are encouraged to consult with the Program Manager for further discussion on whether additional courses are needed prior to applying.
The Program Manager can also review unofficial transcripts for students who earned credit from other institutions.
How Do I Apply?
Admission into the program is by CYFS-BAS application only and follows a cohort model with a maximum enrollment of 30 students per cohort.
Cohort: all students begin together and proceed with the same CYFS classes each quarter for the duration of at least 2 years (6 quarters).
At this time, cohorts start once a year in the Fall quarters. Application periods run from the Winter through Summer quarters.
- Edmonds CC Financial Aid Services
- For students with an Early Childhood Education background working at an Early Achievers site