Child, Youth, and Family Studies
Enhance your career with an applied bachelor's degree!
The Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) Degree in Child, Youth, and Family Studies at Edmonds CC provides advanced knowledge and skills for professional positions in educational settings for young children and social services programs for youth and families. This degree is unique in its interdisciplinary model with emphasis on family systems, equity, and social justice.
Now accepting applications for the Fall 2020 cohort!
Please visit the Application Process page for further details.
What Does This Degree Look Like?
The BAS in Child, Youth, and Family Studies (CYFS) is designed for working adults who have professional-technical academic backgrounds and strive to gain advanced skills, knowledge, and pathways to higher degree levels.
All CYFS courses are:
- Hybrid format
- Twice a week from 6-9 p.m., 10 credits/quarter
- Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarters
Additional General Education courses:
- Includes Statistics (Math& 146 or equivalent) with a 2.0 grade point as a prerequisite to a second-year CYFS course, CYFS 420
- Vary in time and modes of instruction based on individual student schedules
- Can be taken with CYFS courses, during Summer Quarters, and/or in a third year
What Do I Need Before Applying?
Eligible students will have first completed an Associate in Applied Science - Transfer (AAS-T) degree, or equivalent, in one of the following:
Students with an Associate of Technical Arts (ATA) degree, or similar, in one of the fields of study listed above are encouraged to consult with the Program Manager for further discussion on whether additional courses are needed prior to applying.
The Program Manager can also review unofficial transcripts for students who earned credit from other institutions.
How Do I Apply?
Admission into the program is by BAS-CYFS application only and follows a cohort model with a maximum enrollment of 30 students per cohort.
Cohort: all students begin together and proceed with the same CYFS classes each quarter for the duration of at least 2 years (6 quarters).
At this time, cohorts start once a year in the Fall quarters. Application periods run from the Winter through Summer quarters.
- Edmonds CC Financial Aid Services
- For students with an Early Childhood Education background working at an Early Achievers site