Edmonds CC Logo
Basic Food and Employment Training

employment readiness opportunities

Support for individuals receiving federal food benefits from the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS).

BFET Programs Include:

  • General Education Development (GED®) for students over the age of 21,
  • 21 + HS Diploma (HS21) — the new high school completion program for students over age 21,
  • ESL classes, and
  • Vocational training — see the list of eligible programs.


  1. Receiving Federally Issued Basic Food (food stamps) with Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS),
  2. Not receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) grant, and
  3. No transfer degree programs of study.


Read our Frequently Asked Questions or call 425.640.1727.

BFET has drop-in hours on most Tuesdays, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. in Gateway Hall 106 and Thursdays, 1-5 p.m. in Mountlake Terrace Hall 130.

You can speak to a BFET Program Specialist, no appointment necessary, first come-first served.

This time is available to new students and existing BFET students.

Financial Aid and Other Information

Grants: Federal Pell Grant and State Need Grant

Most students will qualify for two types of grants (which do not have to be paid back): the Federal Pell Grant and the State Needs Grant. Students who receive food benefits typically qualify for both grants. Low-interest subsidized student loans are also offered to offset a student’s basic needs, such as rent. Loans are part of the federal financial aid package, but they have to be paid back.

Federal Student Aid: Free Application for Federal Student Aid-FASFA

BFET requires all students, except GED, HS21+ and ESL students, to complete FAFSA. FAFSA application is online. Find out more at Student Financial Services.

BFET provides students with tuition and book support as they complete the financial aid process.

To apply for BFET, call 425.640.1727 or follow the application steps.

All important information from the college, including BFET, will be sent via your EdMail account.