The latest news from Edmonds Community College
Women of the Middle East Festival is Jan. 23 at Edmonds CC
|Shahrazad Dance Ensemble|
Edmonds Community College will host a Women of the Middle East Festival 11 a.m.-5 p.m., Thurs., Jan. 23, that focuses on countries in the region sharing a similar heritage, including those in Central Asia and Eastern Europe.
The event will be held in the Triton Student Center of Brier Hall on campus. It’s
free and open to the public.
“We are trying to raise awareness about the Middle East and celebrate the diversity of Middle Eastern women,” said Reham Elkhayat, who teaches Arabic at Edmonds CC. The Arabic Club of Edmonds CC will be offering Arabic spices, calligraphy, and T-shirts.
Arabic II is being offered during winter quarter, Jan. 6-March 21.
The event will include:
- Traditional music from House of Tarab,
- Fashion show by Boutique Al Firdaws featuring volunteer student and staff models,
- Folkloric dancing by Shahrazad Dance Ensemble,
- Belly dance workshop and performance by Dahlia Belly Dance,
- Henna painting from Zara Beauty Salon and Seattle-Lynnwood Henna Tattoo Designs,
- Food and refreshments from Sage and Falafel King of Seattle,
- Arts and culture displays,
- Gifts and Arabic learning tools from A Crafty Arab,
- Civil rights awareness from CAIR-WA,
- Middle Eastern gifts from the Rachel Corrie Foundation, and
- Items from Palestinian Women Woven Goods.