Holidays and Leave
Edmonds Community College offers a generous holiday and leave package for full-time employees, including an annual holiday schedule and additional flexible leave options for each type of employee. Detailed information is provided to new employees when hired.
The annual Edmonds CC Holiday Schedule provides ten (10) paid holidays for full-time employees.
- Exempt: One (1) additional personal leave days per calendar year (January-December).
- Full-Time Faculty: Two (2) additional personal holidays per academic year (July-June), per the terms of Article VI of the Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).
- Classified: One (1) additional personal holiday per calendar year (January-December), and two (2) personal leave days per fiscal year (July-June) of the contract, per the life of the WPEA Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).
- Exempt: Exempt employees accrue 16 hours per month (or prorated equivalent for less than full-time permanent employees). There is no waiting period to use vacation.
- Classified: Classified employees should review the CBA for accrual rate and maximum. Vacation can be used after six (6) months of continuous service.
- Sick leave accrues at a rate of eight (8) hours per month for full-time exempt, full-time classified, and full-time faculty. (Accrual is prorated for less than full-time permanent employees.)
- Part-time faculty accrue compensable sick leave at a rate of FTEF X eight (8) hours/month.
- Employees can use sick leave as it accrues but may not use leave prior to accrual. Examples of appropriate sick leave use include illness, disability, injury, serious medical emergency of family member, and medical/dental appointments.
Employees can obtain sick or vacation leave donations from other employees of the college if they are entirely out of leave and have a qualifying medical condition. An employee can donate any sick leave above a 176 hour minimum balance, or vacation leave above an 80 hour minimum balance.
Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Federal law entitles full-time employees up to twelve (12) weeks of paid or unpaid leave with paid health insurance benefits. The employee must obtain required medical certification to be eligible. He/she must have been employed at least twelve (12) months and have worked 1,250 hours to qualify. The qualifying events are: an employee’s serious health condition; care for a parent, child, or spouse with serious health condition; care of a member of the armed services returning from a war engagement zone; and care for newborn, adopted, or foster child(ren).
Other Leave Types
Other types of leave include civil duty leave (jury), child care emergencies, parental leave, military leave, bereavement leave, and leave without pay (LWOP).
Exempt employees can use accrued sick leave, vacation leave, or leave without pay for child or parental care or bereavement, and professional leave (study, research, civic opportunities). Exempt employees may also use up to five (5) days of study leave each calendar year (January-December) after 2 years of continuous exempt employment. Unused study leave does not carry forward from year to year.
Classified employees: See Articles 12 and 18 of the WPEA Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) for specific details on these leave types.