Foster the Dream! for Alumni of Foster Care
Foster the Dream! at Edmonds Community College promotes the educational achievement of current and former foster youth. It provides financial, academic, and mentoring support towards the completion of an undergraduate degree.
Foster the Dream! Offers You:
- Academic, financial, and personal mentoring;
- Assistance with completing college entrance, financial aid, and scholarship forms;
- A collaborative network of staff and faculty on campus to support alumni of foster care;
- An educated environment around the culture of foster care; and
- Opportunities for professional and personal networking.
Foster the Dream! Includes College Success Foundation Scholarships
- Washington State Governors' Scholarship for Foster Youth
Supported by governors of Washington state, this scholarship helps young men and women from foster care in Washington continue their education and earn a college degree. Eligible students must meet specific criteria. Proceeds from the Governors' Cup, an annual golf tournament, provide funding for about 40 new scholars each year. Award amounts range from $2,000 to $4,000, depending on the college of attendance.
- Passport for Foster Youth Promise Scholarship
Created by the state of Washington, this scholarship encourages foster youth to prepare for and succeed in college. Eligible foster youth can receive scholarships and other forms of financial aid that will help pay tuition and living expenses for up to five years of college. Scholars receive guidance from college academic and financial aid counselors, assistance finding housing during school breaks and over the summer, special consideration for the State Need Grant and State Work Study financial aid programs, and help finding student employment.
Foster the Dream! provides mentoring and support to all Governor's and Passport Scholars to help ensure their academic success.