Expanding Your Horizons Conference at Edmonds Community College
Look for our next conference March 17, 2020.
Expanding Your Horizons (EYH) is a national conference that encourages girls, grades 8-12, to explore careers in science, technology, engineering, and math.
2019 Conference Keynote Speaker
Penelope Lora Ramirez
Penelope Lora Ramirez is a Senior Design Engineer at The Boeing Company, specializing in design analyses of air and space craft for both Boeing Commercial and Boeing Defense, Space and Security major divisions. In 2001 and 2003 Boeing nominated Penelope for the Hispanic Engineer National Achievement Award Conference (HENAAC) Most Promising Engineer. She also received the 2001 Women of Color in Technology award for achievements in technology, science, or engineering, for which she was sponsored to attend the National Conference in Atlanta, Georgia to be honored by the Boeing Engineering Process Council and Boeing Leadership. Penelope has supported numerous aircraft platforms in her dynamic career, including the KC-46 Tanker Refuel Boom, 777-300ER Empennage, 777-200LR, 747/767 Wing, 767 Airframe and 747 Fuselage.
Penelope was born in Lima, Peru where she lived until her family moved to the United States in 1985. Having learned English at an early age, she attended Annandale High School in Fairfax, Virginia.
Since high school, Penelope set her sights on a career in Aerospace. Her fascination with airplanes began while living near an Air Force base in Peru, where “Planes flew so low you could see the orange and silver paint on the sides.” She chose to study at Purdue University for its leading aerospace program. While there she participated in the “All American Marching Band,” Flag Team, Lacrosse Club Team and helped to organize Students for the Exploration and Development of Space (SEDS). In addition, she was active with the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE), serving as Treasurer of the Purdue chapter. In 1994 she received the SHPE President's Award and was a recipient of several scholarships.
Penelope earned her bachelor's degree in Aeronautical Engineering in 1996 and joined The Boeing Company in 1997. While working, she studied for her Masters Degree in Aeronautical Engineering from the University of Southern California, completing that degree in 2004.
Outside from work Penelope has remained active with the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, Seattle Chapter, serving on several committees and as Chapter President from 2001 to 2002. She joined the Board of Directors for VIVA Hispanic Foundation in 2003 and continues to serve on the Board. With her 9-year old daughter, she is an active Girl Scout Troop Leader and a coach for two FIRST Robotics teams; a junior team and a First Lego League team.
Expanding Your Horizons will:
- increase young women's interest in science, technology, and math;
- foster awareness of career opportunities in science, technology, and math; and
- provide opportunities for young women to meet and interact with role models active in science, technology, engineering, and math fields.
2018 Expanding Your Horizons Snapshot
Here's a look at the 2018 conference so new participants have an idea of what to expect.
About the 2018 EYH Conference Workshops and Presenters
- 25+ unique workshops were offered featuring successful women from a variety of STEM careers.
- You can see the full list of 2018 workshops by clicking the link on the right side of the page.
- 95% of the participant responses indicated they enjoyed the workshops attended, especially because most were hands on.
About the Participants
- Over 325 participants registered.
- 98% of the participants indicated that they would attend the 2019 conference.
- 80% said that as a direct response to the workshops they attended, they were now considering new career options.