What is an Internship?
For students, internships are a supervised time-limited professional work experience, focused on offering meaningful and practical work related to the student’s career interests and/or field of study. They can be full – or part time, paid or unpaid. Many internships are eligible for credit(s) at Edmonds CC.
For employers, internships offer the opportunity to bring new ideas and perspectives into the workplace; develop committed and relevant talent through project based work; and build a cost effective recruitment strategy for future employees.
Benefits of an Internship
There are many benefits to procuring a successful internship. A few of the top benefits include:
- Through hands-on experience bridge classroom learning to work experience
- Gain practical skills, knowledge and confidence in your field of interest
- Make informed career choices
- Grow business contacts and professional network
- Make you more competitive in the job market and/or lead directly to employment
- Develop your own learning objectives, earn college credit and meet program requirements
Internships are available across many industries and programs of study. A quality internship will:
- Provide clear job and/or project descriptions
- Offer regular feedback and support
- Match the work to your learning objectives and career goals
- Challenge you and increase your skills
Interested in Learning More?
Here is a handy overview of the internship process to better equip you for finding and applying to an internship. This overview also provides information on internship and work-related courses at the college that can help you earn credit while completing your internship hours.