Demographics of Areas Served
Race and Languages
- Enrolled families’ languages – 49% Spanish, 29% English, 6% Middle Eastern; 3% each European Slavic, Far East Asia, African and remaining 7% over ten different languages.
- Our enrollment is 20% White, 7% Black, 2% Alaska/Native American, 10% Asian/Pacific Islander, 50% Hispanic, 7% two or more races and 4% Other.
- Snohomish County’s population is 81% White, 2% Black, 1% Alaska/Native American, 6% Hispanic, 7% Asian/Pacific Islander, and 3% two or more races.
- Washington State’s population is 76% White and 24% Minority. Of the 24% Minority population, 9% is of Hispanic origins and is the fastest growing minority group in the state. The second fastest growing minority group is Asian/Pacific Islander.
Quality of Life
- 43% of our families reported paying over 30% of their monthly income for housing.
- The average rent charged in Snohomish County for a two-bedroom unit is $942 (Out of Reach 2007-2008; National Low Income Housing Coalition).
- 9% of our families reported being homeless at the time of enrollment.
- The January 2009 Point in Time Count of Homeless Persons on a single day in Snohomish County found 2,202 homeless persons. Twenty-nine percent are children under eighteen and 51% are individuals in families with children. Families are the fastest growing part of the homeless population.
- 21% or our parents do not have a high school diploma or GED.
- Less than 8.2% of Snohomish County’s population does not have a high school diploma or GED compared to the State’s 13%.
- At the time of enrollment, 17% of our families stated they had no doctor, 18% stated they had no insurance or medical coupons, and 12% use emergency rooms for their primary medical care.
- For families below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level the patient to doctor ratio is 3,286 – 6,146 to one doctor depending on where the family lives in Snohomish County. The federal standard for serious shortage is 3,000 to 1. The ratio of low income individuals to a dentist is 4,159 to 1 while, as a whole, the County’s ratio is 2,540 to 1 dentist.
- Child Protective Services reports more than half of all referrals and removals of children in Snohomish County occur in its largest city, Everett, specifically in the city’s south end.
- Snohomish County lies in western Washington State on the east shore of Puget Sound just north of King County and Seattle encompassing an area greater than either of the states of Rhode Island or Delaware.
- Snohomish County population ranks third largest with the second highest median income in Washington State. The three core industries are construction, aerospace and retail.