Accepted English Proficiency and math Scores
English proficiency is not required to be accepted. However, students who submit the following minimum scores, will place directly into English 101 or College/High School Program.
Only original score reports are accepted. Please submit a copy of your original report when applying and bring the original to Orientation.
Online Test Options:
Due to the global COVID-19 health concern, the following testing organizations are offering at home tests you can do online. Please visit their website below to learn more.
The English placement test is waived with below test scores.
|TOEFL iBT||IELTS||Placement||Test taken within|
|72 (writing scaled score of 21 or higher)||Overall 6.0 (5.5 or higher in each band.)||ENGLISH 101||2 years|
|*MyBest™ Scores also accepted|
|Duolingo English Test||Test taken within|
|95 or higher||2 years|
|EIKEN||Test taken within|
|SAT Reading/Writing||ACT Composite||Placement||Test taken within|
|480 or higher||22 or higher||ENGLISH 101||5 years|
|IB Test (SL or HL Exam)||Score||Placement|
|IB English test||7, 6, 5||Credit for ENGLISH 101, Placement into ENGLISH 102|
|IB English test||4||Placement into ENGLISH 101|
|AP English Language and Composition||4 or higher||Credit for ENGLISH 101, Placement into ENGLISH 102|
|AP English Language and Composition||3||Placement into ENGLISH 101|
Regardless of a qualifying test score, all students will need to take the Edmonds College English placement test upon arrival.
For test scores below these levels, placement will be determined by the student's score on the Edmonds College English placement test given upon arrival. For a sample test, please review starting on page 15 of the LOEP Prep.
|TOEFL IBT||Test taken within|
|54 or higher||2 years|
|*MyBest™ Scores also accepted|
|IELTS||Test taken within|
|5.0 in each band||2 years|
|CAMBRIDGE||Test taken within|
|First Certificate Grades A, B, C||2 years|
|Duolingo English Test|
|80 or higher|
|EIKEN (Step Eiken)||Test taken within|
|2A (2150 or higher)||2 years|
|ELS Program||Test taken within|
|Level 109||2 years|
|ITEP||Test taken within|
|Level 4||2 years|
|Pearson Test of English (PTE)||Test taken within|
|Score of 42||2 years|
|Kaplan||Test taken within|
|Higher Intermediate Level||2 years|
|FLS||Test taken within|
|Level 14||2 years|
Math placement test is waived with below test scores.
|ACT Test||Score||Placement||Test taken within|
|ACT Math||25 or higher||Math 140 or Math 141||2 years|
|ACT Math||20-24||Math 97, Math 107, or Math 146||2 years|
|AP Math||5 on Calculus AB||Credit for Math 151 and 152, Placement into Math 153|
|AP Math||3, 4 on Calculus AB||Credit for Math 151, Placement into Math 152|
|AP Math||2 on Calculus AB or BC||Placement into Math 151|
|AP Math||4, 5 on Calculus BC||Credit for Math 151 and 152, Placement into Math 153|
|AP Math||3 on Calculus BC||Credit for Math 151, Placement into Math 152|
|AP Math||3, 4, 5 on Statistics AP||Credit for Math 146|
|IB Test (Higher Level)||Score||Placement|
|IB Math Test||7||Math 151|
|IB Math Test||6, 5||Math 142|
|SAT Math Score||PSAT Math Score||Placement||Test taken within|
|520-579||520-579||Math 097, 107, 140, 146||2 years|
|580 or higher||580 or higher||Math 107, 140, 141, 146||2 years|
We are partnering with our Testing and Assessment Services to offer virtual English and Math testing for accepted students who are in their home countries.
The types of tests available include English (the LOEP test) and Math.
- Regarding Math: Students must have an accepted English proficiency score to be eligible for a math test. If you do not have an accepted score such as TOEFL or IELTS, then you may take the LOEP test through Examity to try to get the accepted placement.
- Students are strongly encouraged to prepare for the English and Math test prior to taking it, see test preparation resources available online.
- Students are allowed one LOEP test and one math test, plus one retest each, prior to enrolling in a class.
Steps to Take Examity:
- Submit an online application first. You will be given a student ID number which you will need to take the test.
- Go to the Virtual Testing page to read about the ”Examity System Requirements”
- Once you are ready, send an email (see example below) to the Testing and Assessment Services firstname.lastname@example.org to request a test. You will need to be prepared to give them your full name, Edmonds College student ID number, date of birth and a copy of your passport.
- Keep in mind that English test results may take up to 3 business days if you are required to write an essay.
Example email to Testing and Assessment Services
Subject: Request for Examity [FULL NAME, STUDENT ID]
Hello Edmonds College Testing and Assessment Services,
I am accepted to Edmonds College and I want to take an English (LOEP) test via Examity. My full name is _________________. Edmonds College student ID #: _______________. Date of birth (month / day / year): _____________. My email address is: _______________. Please see the attached copy of my passport. Thank you! Sign Your Name.