TRiO Student Support Services
TRiO Tutor Position
Tutors assist TRiO students with learning course material and developing study skills necessary for academic success. Tutors are typically scheduled to work with assigned students on a regular basis. During tutoring sessions, tutors work with students to develop tutorial objectives, learning activities, and enhance student understanding of concepts and skills required by a course. Tutors are required to attend meetings, trainings, and report to the tutor coordinator.
To be considered for a tutoring position, an applicant must:
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA in the subject area you wish to tutor
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA overall
- Exhibit good English skills
- Exhibit strong interpersonal communication skills to clearly express ideas
- Exhibit ability to explain concepts in a variety of ways
- Exhibit patience and understanding in assisting students
- Be sensitive to the individual needs of a wide range of students
- Be available to work the duration of the quarter for which you are applying
Preference will be given to applicants that demonstrate:
- Previous tutoring experience
- Previous experience receiving tutoring
- An ability to tutor multiple subjects
- A flexible schedule of availability
- Availability to tutor throughout the academic year
- A minimum 3.5 GPA in the subject area you wish to tutor
Tutors are paid $9.04 per hour. This includes time spent at tutor meetings, trainings, and working with tutees.
- Applications are available at MLT 120
- Completed application packets should include the following materials in the given
- Tutor Application
- A copy of your Unofficial Transcripts
- A Cover Letter addressing how you meet the qualifications in the position description
- A Resume
- Submit completed application packets to Charlotte Emigh at MLT 120
- You may be contacted for an interview if….
- You meet the required qualifications
- There is a need in the subject area for which you are qualified to tutor
- Not all applicants will be interviewed
- If you have questions about the application process contact the academic coordinator at 425.640.1391.