Transfer Resources

Frequently asked questions about transferring to a four-year university

1.  What is the Direct Transfer Agreement?

For those that qualify, the Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA) gives students priority admission into most Washington universities. Students must have the AA degree, be a Washington state resident and meet the minimum GPA for their chosen university.  Specific AA - degrees, such as the AA for Business, also fall under the DTA.  For more information about the DTA, schedule an appointment with a transfer advisor at 425.640.1458 or email your questions to To download a transfer program planning sheet, go to Program Requirement Sheets.

The Associate of Science (AS track 1 and 2) degrees are not covered under the DTA but still provide priority admission into most Washington universities and Junior status.

Generally, Associate of Technical Arts (ATA) Degrees do not fully transfer to four-year universities. Some ATA degrees may transfer. If you have questions about whether a certain ATA degree transfers, please see one of our Professional/Technical advisors 425.640.1458) or your faculty advisor.

2.  How do I send my official transcript to a university? 

Request a copy of your official transcript by filling out a "Request for Transcript of Student Records" form. There is a $6.00 charge per transcript. These forms may be obtained from Enrollment Services in Lynnwood Hall, first floor.

When requesting your transcripts please include your signature, student identification number, the number of transcripts you are ordering, and the university's address where you would like the transcripts sent. Or, you may choose to pick up your transcript from Advising and send it to your chosen university along with your admissions application. If you pick up your transcripts, you will need present photo identification. Please note: Official transcripts must remain sealed in the envelope. Once opened, universities will no long accept them as official.

3.  Should I choose a major before transferring? 

Yes! When applying to a four-year university, students often have to apply to both the university and to their major. Many majors have prerequisite courses and other admissions requirements that you can fulfill within your Associate degree here at Edmonds CC. If you are undecided about your major, you may want to visit the Counseling Center in Mountlake Terrace Hall, room 145 or by calling 425.640.1358.

Once you have decided on a major you should work with an advisor in the Advising Center and plan for prerequisite courses.  For an appointment with an advisor, call 425.640.1458 or go to the Information Desk on the first floor of Lynnwood Hall.

4.  What is the difference between the Associate of Arts (AA) and Associate of Science (AS) degree?

The AA degree is designed for students pursuing majors in the liberal arts such as Psychology, English, Political Science, History, Education, etc. There are separate AA degrees for Biology and Business. The AA degree includes a balance of general education courses in English, math, humanities, social sciences, sciences, and electives. Most universities, except the University of Washington, will accept the AA degree as a whole and consider all general education classes fulfilled. Students must still meet university admission and major admission requirements.

The AS degree (tracks 1 and 2) is designed for students pursuing majors in the sciences such as Engineering, Chemistry, Computer Science, etc. The majority of requirements under this degree are science and math courses. The degree requires only 15 credits of humanities and social sciences courses and students may have to fulfill more general education courses at their transfer institution, depending on the major. 

To download an AA or AS program planning sheet, go to Program Requirement Sheets.

5.  Do I need a foreign language class? 

There are two types of foreign language requirements at the universities. First, you need to determine if your chosen university has an admissions requirement. This requirement can be fulfilled either by high school or college credit.  Second, you need to determine if the major you have chosen at your transfer university has a graduation requirement.  Remember, these requirements vary depending on the institution. For example, psychology majors at the University of Washington must fulfill a foreign language graduation requirement, psychology majors at Western Washington University do not. 

For a chart of foreign language requirements, go to the Transfer Center's Foreign Language Chart.