Testing Center

Determine What Classes You Need

Prior to registering for classes, most students need to take an English and math placement test as part of the Admission process.

  • Placement is determined by taking an assessment test call ACCUPLACER, OR
  • By submitting documentation that exempts you from taking the ACCUPLACER.

If English is your second language, you may ask to take a different version of the ACCUPLACER called LOEP.

What to Expect:

  • You should prepare to take the ACCUPLACER. Look under Resources located on the Testing Center Home page.
  • Allow approximately two hours to complete the assessment. The test is not timed.
  • You are given your placement scores immediately after you complete the ACCUPLACER.
  • New students to Edmonds Community College are then asked to sign up for a one-hour advising session.
    • Advising sessions are scheduled throughout the day and the week. Most students are able to attend a session within an hour after they complete the ACCUPLACER.
    • If you are unable to attend an advising session on the day you take the ACCUPLACER, you may schedule a time and day that works for you.
  • You are ready to register for classes after you attend an advising session.

Challenging your Placement

  • You may retake the ACCUPLACER once per quarter.
  • A $25 retest fee applies.
  • Please note: after you are initially assessed, if you start taking classes based on your placement, you may not retest as a way to skip classes in a sequence.

ACCUPLACER Exceptions – Documentation is Required

You may not need to take the ACCUPLACER, or may only need to complete part of the test if you meet any of the following conditions:

  • You completed English Composition and/or Intermediate Algebra at an accredited college or university, within the past five years, and with a grade of 2.0 or higher.
  • You previously earned a Bachelor of Arts, or Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college or university.
  • You previously earned an Associate of Arts, or Associate of Science degree from a Washington State Community or Technical College.
  • You took the ACCUPLACER, COMPASS OR ASSET assessments at another college within the past two years (if your assessment scores were obtained at another Washington State Community or Technical College, see Placement Reciprocity below).

If any of the conditions pertain to you, submit the ACCUPLACER Exemption Request form to the Enrollment Services counter along with your documentation.

Placement Reciprocity

(honoring your placement level into math, English, or reading/writing courses from another community college)

  • If you previously attended another Washington State Community or Technical College, and qualified, or placed into a specific level of college or pre-college math, English, or reading/writing, either through course completion, or assessment, we will honor that placement here at Edmonds Community College.
  • If this applies to you please submit the Placement Reciprocity Student Request form to the Enrollment Services Office.

EdMail: You are required to use it! It is the way we communicate with you.

The college assigns all students EdMail (email) accounts within a couple of days after they register for their first class. Note: if you are a former student returning after time away from school, check with the Enrollment Services Office to confirm what email address we have on file for you. We use the address recorded in the Enrollment Services records. To gain access to your account, follow the steps at www.edcc.edu/edmail.

Testing Schedule