Each quarter faculty need to develop a syllabus for each class they teach, submit the syllabus to the college Syllabus Upload and make the syllabus available for students. This website provides all the information you will need to complete the syllabus process. The process for developing a syllabus includes:
- Review the Required Components, the Examples and the Syllabus Template
- Develop your syllabus by completing the Syllabus Template or closely following it as you create your own syllabus
- Upload your syllabus (this is required every quarter) at https://ads.edcc.edu/syllabi/ (For instructions, click on the link below the Login button.)
- Post your syllabus to your eLearning course or other web-based site. A commitment to sustainability is included in the Mission, Goals and Philosophy of the college (www.edcc.edu/about/guiding.php); please limit hardcopy distribution of your syllabus, if possible.
For additional information about these components see component examples.
- Course title, course number, course section, and credit hours
- Quarter, Year
- Course description (current catalog description http://catalog.edcc.edu). Click on the Course Descriptions link on the left navigation and then use the search tool to find your specific course information.
- Prerequisites (if any)
- (If applicable) Location and class meeting times and dates of the course
- (If applicable) state the course mode: “Hybrid Course” or “Online Course” or “eLearning Enhanced Course” if the eLearning LMS is being used. See example.
- Name of the instructor
- Telephone number and email of the instructor (must be an Edmonds CC email address which you can get from your Division Office)
- (If applicable) Office hours and office location
- (If applicable) Other Contact Information (example: online office hours, best way to contact you, expectations regarding response to email, etc.) See example.
- Information about required textbooks and materials (If you are willing to accept older editions of the required textbook, state which editions, for example, “Older editions, 2009 and 2008 only are acceptable for use in this for this class)
- (If applicable) Textbooks and other materials will be on reserve in the Library.
- (If applicable) Optional student materials (Materials not required but suggested)
- (If applicable) Statement about requirements for access to a computer and the Internet
- (If applicable) Provide this statement: “There are over 400 computers on the Edmonds CC campus. See www.edcc.edu/library for computer locations.” See example.
- List all Course Level Objectives (expected learning outcomes) found in the course description (current catalog description http://catalog.edcc.edu). Click on the Course Descriptions link on the left navigation and then use the search tool to find your specific course information.
- (If applicable) List additional course objectives you may have for the class.
- (If applicable) Link to Certificate and Degree Outcomes. See example.
- (If applicable) Provide a detailed description of the course mode (Hybrid or Online). See example.
Assessment and Grading
- Assessment Criteria and Grading policies (i.e., how assessment will be take place, how grades will be determined, grading scale). See example.
- (If applicable) Policies on late or make-up work
- (If applicable) Policies on V, I, S, U and other grading policies. See college policies in the online college catalog http://catalog.edcc.edu.
- (If applicable) Statements about plagiarism and use of cell phones and other electronic devices in class. See more information.
- Attendance Policy (if attendance is a grading criteria; if not, state your attendance expectations)
Final Exam or meeting of the class
- (If applicable) The date and time of the required final exam or class meeting during Finals Week
Services for Students with Disabilities
- Include a statement about accommodations for students with disabilities such as: "If you require an accommodation for a disability, please contact Services for Students with Disabilities at 425.640.1320 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
College Closure Information
- Include a College Closure/Delayed Opening Notification Statement: You can sign up to receive email or text notifications of college closures or delayed openings due to weather or other emergencies at http://www.schoolreport.org/. You can also call the college’s switchboard at 425.640.1459.
Course Calendar or Schedule
- Course timelines with major due dates and exam information
- Calendar of daily or weekly topics and assignments
- Statement of Instructor and Student Expectations. See example.
Communications Plan Information
- Include your plan for communication in the event of inclement weather or similar event. See example.
Additional Resources for Students
- Academic Calendar: http://calendar.edcc.edu/_academic.php
- Advising: www.edcc.edu/advising
- College Policies and Procedures: http://catalog.edcc.edu
- Counseling and Resource Center: www.edcc.edu/counseling
- Distance Learning Office: www.edcc.edu/online
- Diversity Student Center: www.edcc.edu/dsc
- Learning Support Center: www.edcc.edu/lsc/Tutoring_Center.php
- Library, including online resources: www.edcc.edu/library
- Office of Student Life: www.edcc.edu/stulife
- Student Printing Guidelines: www.edcc.edu/acs/Printing
- Student Services: www.edcc.edu/support