Guide to Emergency Preparedness: Lockdown
A lockdown is used to prevent people from leaving or entering a building to protect them from danger.
What To Do
- Notify anyone in open spaces or hallways to move to a safe location.
- Close and lock doors. For non-locking doors, block door if possible.
- Turn off all lights.
- Stay silent and silence the ringer and vibration on any electronic devices.
- Stay away from windows.
- Stay in the lockdown area until directed to leave by emergency responders.
What Not To Do
- Do not respond to a fire alarm during a lockdown unless you see a fire or smell smoke.
- Do not open doors; emergency responders will have keys.