Geology is a broad scientific discipline that studies all aspects of the planet: its history, its composition and internal structure, and its surface features. Geologists seek answers to many basic questions about our world:
- What material is the planet composed of?
- Why are the continents shaped the way they are?
- How did the Himalaya and Alps rise to their great heights?
- Why are volcanoes located where they are?
- Why are some regions devastated by earthquakes but others are not?
- How did Earth's environment change and evolve over billions of years?
Geologists can find work in a wide range of industries and scientific fields, and, in effect, serve as Earth's historians.