Move Further and Faster to a Better Career and Future!
What is I-BEST? How Does It Work?
I-BEST (Integrated Basic Education and Skills Training) combines extra English and Math support with professional-technical job skill training and college-level classes. I-BEST helps students start their college-level classes sooner and prepare for in-demand careers, or University transfer. I-BEST advisors help students with academic planning, financial aid, and other resources for success.
I-BEST was designed to help transition students further and faster into their certificate or degree completions, with goals of obtaining an in-demand job at a higher wage.
The I-BEST Program also offers students individualized case management support in areas of:
- Career exploration, planning and preparation
- Short-term certificates or longer-term degree opportunities
- Financial aid advising, scholarship applications, and guidance in funding sources
- Support in ongoing decision-making and academic planning
In as little as three months, you can earn a certificate of completion to get a jump-start on a new career in professional-technical degree pathways:
- Basic Bookkeeping/Accounting
- Allied Health Care
- Business Management
- Engineering Technology - Electronics
- Engineering Technology - Material Science
- Basic Medical Office
Earn transfer degree credits in both an English "Bucket" class, AND a core distribution/elective class at the same time. Options vary each quarter, but may include:
- HIST&146: U.S. History 1
- BUS&101: Introduction to Business
- CMST&220: Public Speaking
- HUM&101: Studies in American Culture
Without I-BEST, these courses require English 101 Placements. However, I-BEST uses a multi-level English Bucket class, which allows students to take these classes earlier, and possibly earn credit for up to English 101 at the same time! Students interested and/or already on-track to complete a variety of two-year degrees, transferring to a Bachelor's Degree Program, or PreNursing students may benefit from Academic I-BEST courses, moving further and faster into their transfer credit coursework.
I-BEST Student Eligibility:
- Attend an I-BEST/College Prep Intake session
- CASAS Placement Testing (completed during intake session)
- Eligible Reading Score of 220+
- CASAS Math requirements vary by program.
- ESL Level 5+ placement
- Bridge English placement from Accuplacer Test
- Explore options for financial aid, scholarships, and funding
Get Skills for the Job You Want!
Most high-growth, high-wage occupations require at least some college experience.
Average annual earnings by education level*:
- Less than high school graduate- $22,326
- High School Diploma or GED - $31,209
- Associate or Vocational Degree - $40,708
- Bachelors Degree - $51,436
* 2010 data from www.checkoutacollege.com
Meet Edmonds Community College students and watch the State Board Video as they talk about their experiences in the I-BEST program:
Find Out More/Enroll for I-BEST Programs:
- Call us at 425.640.1593 to sign up for an I-BEST / College Prep Intake Session
- Email email@example.com or
- Drop by the Pre-College Division office in Mukilteo Hall, room 403 to sign up in person
- For more detailed questions call 425.640-1628 and speak with Nicole Rios-Gunn, I-BEST Advising manager. Or email firstname.lastname@example.org