Business Information Technology
Train for jobs in medical, legal, financial or general office environments.
Obtain computer skills for word processing, preparing spreadsheets, working with databases and desktop publishing. Understand the fundamentals of medical terminology, medical billing, and medical record keeping.
The academic support class for this career path will include: Vocabulary building (preparing for medical terminology); note taking; notebook organization; additional practice with skills learned in other classes; sentence and paragraph structure; and analyzing information.
Business Information Technology Stackable Edmonds Community College Certificates Available starting with I-BEST:
- Medical Administrative Assistant Certificate
- Medical Billing Specialist Certificate
- Business Information Technology (two-year) Degree Pathways
Job Opportunities as:
- Medical Receptionist/Secretary
- Patient Registration Clerks
- Medical Claims Clerks
- Medical Records Assistants
Entry-level earnings about $16.39-$19.68 per hour
Choices for Further College Study and Career Paths
Earn a higher certificate in a year or less for positions in entry-level medical office as:
- Medical Administrative Assistant
- Medical Billing Specialist
- Medical Clerk
- Medical Transcription
Increase earning potential at entry level to $19.00-22.33/hr
Earn a two-year Associate of Technical Arts Degree in Medical Information Technology. Prepare for employment as a coder/technician or manager/ supervisor in a hospital, ambulatory health care facility, skilled nursing facility, government health agency, pharmaceutical company, or with a medical product vendor.
Visit the Career Pathways Medical Information Technology website for comprehensive information!
To learn more about I-BEST opportunities:
- Call the Pre-College office at 425.640.1593 and schedule an appointment with Nicole Rios-Gunn, I-BEST Advising Manager
- Email email@example.com
- Drop by the Pre-College Office in Mukilteo Hall, room 403
Find out more about Business Information Technology
Visit: edcc.edu/bstec or call 425.640.1604
*Wage Source: Washington State Employment Security Department, 2013