The latest news from Edmonds Community College
'Snapshot': Edmonds CC library serves 2,818 students in one day05/02/2012
|The Edmonds CC library.|
Edmonds Community College recently participated in “Snapshot: One Day in the Life of Washington’s Libraries,” a statewide project gathering statistics, stories, and photographs to illustrate the importance of libraries for Washington’s citizens.
“Students tell us our library is the best place to study and do homework," said Edmonds Community College Learning Resources Director Lauri Kram. "They appreciate the quiet areas, the computers available for everyone to use, and the assistance of our librarians. It’s an environment that supports their success.”
On Library Snapshot Day April 10, as on most days in the college’s busy library, there were students using the computer labs, asking for help at the reference desk, checking out textbooks, viewing videos, participating in information literacy classes, studying quietly, or working in study groups. The day showed the range of work that takes place at the library.
Library Snapshot Days are part of a national effort aimed at bringing attention to library services in their communities organized by the American Library Association.
On one day at the Edmonds Community College library included:
- 2,818 students entering the library
- 1,091 logins on library computers
- 225 items checked out
- 167 searches of full-text, research databases
- 37 reference questions asked and answered
- 131 computer questions asked and answered
- 30 students attending Information Literacy classes
- 557 photocopies
- 1,181 hits on the library homepage
Did you know? Edmonds Community College’s library:
- offers online chat research help around the clock to students by participating in Ask a Librarian;
- has more than 150 computers, including eight laptops available for check-out to students;
- has textbooks available for use in the library;
- has created 93 Resource Guides, customized, online guides to quality research resources; and
- is open seven days a week.