The latest news from Edmonds Community College
Lynnwood Police Department recruiting for Citizens Police Academy
Lynnwood Police Sgt. Jason Valentine stands by as a Citizens Academy participant gets to go hands on during a SWAT demonstration.
The Lynnwood Police Department will be offering a 12-week Citizens Academy this upcoming January, which is a unique learning experience conducted by the police department and designed to give citizens a better understanding of the mission and operations of the police department. During the course participants will be introduced to the basic information that all police officers must know to perform their jobs, including such topics as patrol tactics, criminal and narcotics investigations, use of force, communications, DUI procedures, and domestic violence to name just a few.
Class highlights may include:
- Investigate a mock homicide scene
- Lift and examine fingerprints
- Work with a crime scene tech to study blood spatter patterns, DNA, and weapon marks
- Take a field trip to the gun range and see officers’ weapons, including the Taser.
- Experience a jailhouse dinner and tour of the jail facility
- Visit the 911 communications center and see how emergency calls are dispatched
- Ride-along with a patrol officer on an actual shift
- See a SWAT demonstration and K-9 searches
- Learn practical information on the use of force and personal safety
- Learn how you can volunteer with the police department