The latest news from Edmonds Community College
Lynnwood Police Department recruiting for Citizens Police Academy
Lynnwood Police Sgt. Jason Valentine stands by as a Citizens Academy participant gets
to go hands on during a SWAT demonstration.
The Lynnwood Police Department will be offering a 12-week Citizens Academy this upcoming
January, which is a unique learning experience conducted by the police department
and designed to give citizens a better understanding of the mission and operations
of the police department. During the course participants will be introduced to the
basic information that all police officers must know to perform their jobs, including
such topics as patrol tactics, criminal and narcotics investigations, use of force,
communications, DUI procedures, and domestic violence to name just a few.
Class highlights may include:
• Investigate a mock homicide scene
• Lift and examine fingerprints
• Work with a crime scene tech to study blood spatter patterns, DNA, and weapon marks
• Take a field trip to the gun range and see officers’ weapons, including the Taser.
• Experience a jailhouse dinner and tour of the jail facility
• Visit the 911 communications center and see how emergency calls are dispatched
• Ride-along with a patrol officer on an actual shift
• See a SWAT demonstration and K-9 searches
• Learn practical information on the use of force and personal safety
• Learn how you can volunteer with the police department
Find out moreSign up for the Citizens Police Academy online. Space is limited. Enroll early!
< back to news index