Holidays and Leave
- Exempt: One additional personal holiday per calendar year.
- Full Time Faculty: 2 additional personal holidays per academic year (July-June).
- Classified: 1 additional personal holiday per calendar year (Jan-Dec), and 1 personal leave day per fiscal year (July-June) of the contract, per the life of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), 2012-2013.
- Exempt: Employees accrue 16 hours per month, or pro rated equivalent. There is no waiting period to use vacation. Once 240 hours of accrued leave is reached, the employee will stop accruing.
- Classified: Employees should review the CBA for accrual rate and maximum. Vacation can be used after 6 months of continuous service. Upon leaving employment and with adequate notice, vacation leave is entirely paid out if the probationary period is completed.
- Sick leave accrues at a rate of 8 hours (prorated for less than full-time permanent staff) per month for full-time exempt, classified, and full-time faculty.
- Part-time faculty accrue compensable sick leave at a rate of FTEF X 8 hours/month. For those less than 100% FTE, accrual is pro-rated.
- Employees can use leave as it accrues but may not use leave prior to accrual. Examples of appropriate sick leave use are: illness, disability, injury, serious medical emergency of family member, and medical/dental appointment.
Employees can obtain sick or vacation leave donations from other employees of the college if he/she is entirely out of leave and has a qualifying medical condition. An employee can donate any sick leave above a 176 hour minimum balance, or vacation leave above an 80 hour minimum balance.
Federal law entitles full-time employees up to 12 weeks of paid or unpaid leave with paid health insurance benefits. The employee must obtain required medical certification to be eligible. He/she must have been employed at least 12 months and have worked 1,250 hours to qualify. The qualifying events are: an employee’s serious health condition; care for parent, child, or spouse with serious health condition; care of a member of the armed services returning from a war engagement zone; and care for newborn, adopted, or foster child.
Other leave types include:
Civil duty leave, child care emergencies, parental leave, military leave, bereavement leave, and leave without pay (LWOP).
Exempt employees can use accrued sick leave, vacation leave, or leave without pay for child or parental care or bereavement, professional leave (study, research, civic opportunities), and Study Leave.
Classified employees: See Articles 12 and 18 of the WPEA CBA, 2012-2013 for specific details on these leave types. (WPEA Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) 2013-15)