High School Dual Enrollment Programs
Information for High School Teachers
High school teachers benefit from the experience of teaching a college-level course and working directly with the Edmonds CC Faculty Coordinator/Liaison who assists in curriculum development and can provide valuable supplemental materials and teaching methodology.
High school teachers who are interested in teaching in the CHS program are encouraged to contact the CHS Director who will notify the appropriate division dean at Edmonds CC. Successful applicants must meet the same credentials as any other part-time college instructor as defined by the academic department. Some but not all college departments require a master’s degree in the subject area.
- Masters in Chemistry
- Masters in Math; or
- Masters in another discipline plus 18 credits of 400 or 500 level Math classes (not counting Math Ed or History of Math type of classes); or
- Masters in another discipline plus 3 or more years teaching Honors/AP/IB Math courses (NOTE: the CHS Math course must be the same or higher than the Honors/AP/IB class. Honors Precalculus may be used since there are no AP Precalculus classes.
- Masters in Economics
- Masters in Psychology
The CHS Director will clarify the application process and collect the application packet which must include the following:
- evidence of applicant’s superior knowledge of the subject and outstanding teaching skills; and
- evidence of at least two times teaching the designated CHS class; and
- interest and a willingness to modify the curriculum/assignments/assessment/grading criteria as needed to ensure that it is equivalent to the course offered on the Edmonds CC campus; and
- letter of recommendation from applicant’s principal or high school department head; and
- a resume and college transcript(s) to confirm degree earned and number of courses taken; and
- the high school course syllabi including name of textbook(s) as well as typical assignments with a sample assessment.
The appropriate college division dean in consultation with the high school principal and the appropriate Edmonds CC department head will review all applications, interview all qualified applicants, and make the final selection.
Selected teachers will be appointed as Edmonds CC adjunct faculty to teach on their respective high school campus. In addition to the salary that is paid by the high school teacher’s school district, a stipend will be paid by the Edmonds CC CHS program for the administrative paperwork involved in disbursement of information to parents/students re CHS option, application/registration, meetings (including classroom visits) with Faculty Coordinator/Liaison and completion of new hire paperwork upon initial appointment. Detailed Roles and Responsibilities are listed in the CHS Handbook.