Expanding Your Horizons Conference at Edmonds Community College
March 20, 2018
Expanding Your Horizons (EYH) is a national conference that encourages girls, grades 8-12, to explore careers in science, technology, engineering, and math.
The EYH Conference fee is $20 per student. The fee covers the costs for breakfast, lunch, sweets bag, lanyard, and T-shirt. Thanks to the generous contribution from the Edmonds Community College Foundation, we are able to offer a limited number of conference fee waivers. Please contact us for more information.
Information regarding the 2018 EYH Conference will be posted soon!
2017 Conference High School Keynote Speaker
Jennifer A. Graves, RN, MS
Jennifer has been a member of the health care community in the Pacific Northwest for several decades and is the current Vice President for Patient Safety and Quality Operations at the Washington State Hospital Association. Prior to her role at WSHA, she completed a successful tenure as the Chief Executive at both Swedish Edmonds and Swedish Ballard, where she was actively engaged in leading all aspects of hospital operations and established a deliberate focus on quality and safety and created a thriving work and care environment. Find out more about our keynote speaker Jennifer Graves.
Special Presentation to eighth graders from the Boeing Trailblazers
Trailblazers celebrates the women of Boeing – those who since 1916 were the first
to work at the fledgling company, to become pilots and engineers, to fill positions
on the line in World War II, and to take on leadership roles. They built airplanes;
flew F-15s, Chinook helicopters and 777s; and helped take Boeing into the computer
age. These women are part of Boeing history and paved the way for female engineers
and aviators for decades to come.
Expanding Your Horizons will:
- increase young women's interest in science, technology, and math;
- foster awareness of career opportunities in science, technology, and math; and
- provide opportunities for young women to meet and interact with role models active in science, technology, engineering, and math fields.
2016 Expanding Your Horizons Snapshot
Here's a look at the 2016 conference so new participants have an idea of what to expect.
About the 2016 EYH Conference Workshops and Presenters
- 30 unique workshops were offered featuring successful women from a
variety of STEM careers.
- 96% of the participant response indicated at least one 9 or 10 in their rating of the presenters they chose.
- 46% of that number indicated two or more workshops exceeded their expectations with a 9 or 10.
About the Participants
- Almost 300 participants registered.
- 94% of the participants indicated that they would attend the 2017 conference.
- 85% said that as a direct response to the workshops they attended, they were now considering new career options.