The college complies with the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). We do not release or disclose the contents of your educational records without your written consent. An academic record includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Admission and Registration Records
- Transcript Information
- Financial Aid Records
- Disciplinary Records
- Tuition Amounts
- Your Student ID Number
The law allows us to release Directory Information without your consent under some circumstances. These circumstances include:
- School officials with legitimate educational interest;
- Other schools to which a student is transferring;
- Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes;
- Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student;
- Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school;
- Accrediting organizations;
- To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
- Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies; and
- State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law.
- Contact information and age is also released to Military Recruiters as required under the Solomon Act.
Directory information includes the following:
- Name, Address, Telephone Number
- Date and Place of Birth
- Honors and Awards Received
- Dates of Attendance
Directory Information is not released under the following circumstances:
- To individuals without your written consent – including parents and legal guardians unless you are their dependent and were claimed on your parent/s’ or legal guardian/s’ tax return for the most recent tax year.
- Private business for commercial or any other purpose.
- Organizations conducting research or collecting data for their own purposes.
Your Rights as a Student
- You have the right to block the release of Directory Information.
- You have the right to inspect your educational records.
- You have the right to request a copy of your educational records.
- You have the right to ask that a correction be made to your educational records if you believe the information contained in the records is incorrect.
The following forms pertain to release of your educational records. They can be found under Forms in the menu to the left.
- FERPA – Release of Records, Student Form
- FERPA – Release of Records, Parent Form
- Directory Information Block
- Request to Inspect/Copy/Correct Educational Records
EdMail: You are required to use it! It is the way we communicate with you.
The college assigns all students EdMail (email) accounts within a couple of days after you register for your first class. Note: if you are a former student returning after time away from school, check with the Enrollment Services Office to confirm what email address we have on file for you. We use the address recorded in the Enrollment Services records. To gain access to your account, follow the steps at www.edcc.edu/edmail.