Creative Retirement Institute
CRI Standing Committees
Thank you for being a member of CRI. This shows that you not only love to enjoy the benefits of CRI but also that you are interested in the health and wellbeing of CRI. CRI is member driven. Our stated mission is to provide quality, affordable, educational opportunities for adults in a supportive environment. Our Advisory Board and Committee members work hard to be sure we do that. Quality, affordable, educational and supportive are equally important. Please help by contributing your ideas, time, talents and your social support in our classrooms. One very important way to contribute, and to enhance your CRI experience, is by joining a CRI committee. Thanks for being an active part of this great organization.Audio/visual committee
Purpose: to provide technical support for classesResponsibilities:
- Attend all sessions of the class for which you are the audio—visual technician.Contact the instructor at least one week before the class starts. Introduce yourself, discuss their audio visual requirements, and make whatever arrangements are necessary to prepare for the class. This may entail a meeting with the instructor prior to the beginning of the first session to test the equipment.
- Arrive at the assigned classroom early enough to set up the needed equipment before class is to begin.
- Return all equipment after the class.
- As you are learning to use the equipment or as you continue to use the equipment, please make notes of any improvements or additions that you think would be helpful .
Purpose: to develop college-level academic classes open to all regardless of previous educational background. Our goal is to present a varied slate of courses each term.
- Determine what classes will be offered by making suggestions and reviewing all proposals submitted.
- Contact instructors to secure completed course approval forms.
- After final decisions regarding the program to be offered, prepare a schedule and confirm these times with all instructors.
- Edit the course approval forms and proof copys of all assembled material for the brochure.
- Whenever enrollments indicate that a course cancellation or repetition may be advisable, we recommend appropriate action.
Purpose: to insure the financial health of CRI.
- Prepare the CRI annual budget by working with the various committees and the college to determine needs and expected costs, and then develop a plan to generate sufficient matching revenue from charges and fees.
- Track financial performance versus budget, by monitoring expenses and revenue on a monthly basis, in order to make timely recommendations for changes to the advisory board as required.
- Evaluate proposals for changes in charges and fees and make recommendations to the advisory board.
- Respond to requests from the executive committee or advisory board concerning financial matters and policies.
Purpose: promote CRI in the community by informing individuals of the benefits of membership and encourage recruitment of new members and the renewal of membership by current and past members.
- To develop awareness of CRI through community activities, personal contacts. publicity, advertising and press releases.
- Managing and support the Speakers Bureau.
- Design and distribute the quarterly brochures and other appropriate literature.
Identify target market areas and interest groups.
- Publish the the newsletter (CRIer) and the annual directory,
- Maintain the e-mail list.
- Update and maintain the web site.
Purpose: the social committee is 'social" in two ways: it was created to serve the social side of the CRI experience and at the same time develops a sense of camaraderie among its members.
- Everyone on the committee is encouraged to share their creative ideas and abilities in planning and making decorations for quarterly luncheons and in organizing and acting as hostesses for the summer social.
- Plan and implement the quarterly kick-off events as well as other social events appropriate for enjoyment.
- In addition to our standing committees there are two other groups managing CRI.
Purpose: To provide speakers for the quarterly luncheons.
Responsibilities: To contact and interview appropriate speakers.
In addition to our standing committees there are two other groups managing CRI.
Purpose: To set the agenda for advisory board meetings. And to act on behalf of advisory board between meetings and on issues judged to be time critical; with actions reported at next advisory board meeting. This committee is made up of the chairs of the standing committees.Advisory board
Purpose: To advise and crecommend to the program coordinator on matters of programs, finance, and policy. The board consists of the chairs of each committee and 15 representatives elected from the CRI membership. Each representative is elected for a three year term. Five representatives are elected each year.
- To coordinate the activities of CRI in planning and presenting college level classes.
- To provide liaison between the CRI members and Edmonds Community College through the program coordinator.
CRI has two paid employeesProgram coordinator and her assistant.
Purpose: The primary role of CRI's program coordinator is to be the administrative liaison between the college and the members and volunteers who self-manage this institute for learning in retirement.