Communication Studies at Edmonds Community College
Questions for Analysis
- What concerns or worries does Vicente have?
- Why do Ben and his friends make fun of him?
- What parts of American culture are unfamiliar to Vicente?
- What parts of Mexican culture are unfamiliar to some Americans?
- Culture shock is described by Martin and Nakayama (1997) as a "disorientation [or] discomfort due to the unfamiliarity of surroundings, the lack of familiar cues in the environment" (169). Describe in what ways Vicente is suffering from culture shock. Describe in what ways Vicente's perceptions are correct.
- Describe the interactions in this story where United States cultural values and Latin American cultural values come into conflict.