Communication Studies at Edmonds Community College
Questions for Analysis
- Should Serena meet Jennifer and the prospective boyfriend for coffee?
- How can she make clear to her classmates that she is not lonely, but enjoys her solitude?
- Could she choose an English-speaking Caucasian American as a potential partner? What might his motivation be for such a relationship? What would he have to do to prove to her that he cared for her? In what ways might this relationship not be safe for Serena?
- Is Serena proud of her heritage? Do you think she misses New York? Why or why not?
- Why doesn't Serena want to do what other kids in the neighborhood are doing?
- Do you feel Serena is running away from New York because of what happened between her and Joey - or is she just trying to make a new start?
- Discuss what cultural values Serena has that her Seattle friends may not understand.
- Why do you think Jennifer set Serena up with a dark-skinned, dark haired male?
- Do you feel that same sex individuals (in this case, women) can have an intimate relationship without being stereotyped as homosexual? Why or why not?