Communication Studies at Edmonds Community College
Questions for Analysis
- What different identities or roles does Sarah have?
- What identities or roles do others have in mind when they see Sarah?
- What difficulties has Sarah faced in the United States?
- What difficulties did Sarah face in Taiwan?
- Based on what is presented in the case story, what do you think Sarah's friend, Reiki,
means when he says she's too American?
- Based on what is presented in the case story, do you think Sarah's Dad thinks she's
too American? Why or Why not?
- Internalized oppression is often defined as when people from a particular minority
ethnic group take on the attitudes and beliefs that the majority culture has of them.
This often leads to self-hate and confusion. In what ways does this definition fit
Sarah? In what ways does it not?