CLUG Notes October 20, 2006
Attendees: Anthony Lewis, Brandon Zimmerman, Claudia Levi, David Winney, Elmo Hunter, Jessica Wallace, Julie Jackson, Kevin McKay, Marti Baker, Michael Yocom, Susan Elizabeth Treadgold
Software testing options
- Why is testing necessary? ACS can install software, but are not experts in the majority of software and do not know the specifics of how the software will be used in lessons.
- Why is testing necessary? Software install locations can change quarter by quarter and there may be other software in the software image that could cause a conflict. Conflicts are not the norm, but we would like to prevent the potential for lab downtime during the quarter.
- Why is testing necessary? Operating system and software updates would cause conflicts. Conflicts are not the norm, but we would like to prevent the potential for lab downtime during the quarter.
- It is preferred that people who will be reaching using the software test the software
- If the people who teach the software cannot test, it is possible to have a proxy test. The proxy could be other department staff or a paid student as long as the tester has a test plan.
MS Vista & MS Office 2007
- MS Vista (new version of MS Windows) to be released to manufacturers in late 2006. Released to public in January 2007.
- MS Office 2007 due to be released sometime in early 2007
- Based on published technical specifications and historical computer replacement:
|Quarter||Machines running Vista with no problem||Machines running Vista Marginally||Machines not running Vista||Machines running Office 2007 with no problem||Machines running Office 2007 Marginally||Machines not running Office 2007|
- We do not know when either MS Vista or MS Office 2007 will be deployed.
- What next?
- Testing by ACS and test group.
- After that can discuss when to move to new products. (Will not be able to support 2 OS or
- two version of MS Office at once.)
- When will publishers be putting out material on new products?
- Not all current versions of software will necessarily be able to run on MS Vista.
- Will need assistance from departments in determining what will and will not run on MS Vista
- and obtaining updated software.
Sandbox update - Julie Jackson
- SNO 110 and 124 – Still designing, but partial implementation will take place for winter quarter.
Internet Explorer 7 – Michael Yocom
- IE 7 was released this week. We will not be deploying it for Winter quarter. We have been made aware of potential problems with applications such as Zoomtext, JAWS, and Java. We hope to deploy IE 7 for spring quarter. It will be important that testing occur on any application that works in conjunction with IE 7.