CLUG Notes May 4, 2007
Attendees: Anthony Lewis, Brandon Zimmerman, David Winney, Elizabeth Treadgold, Elmo Hunter, Jessica Wallace, Kevin McKay, Marti Baker, Michael Yocom
In discussions in IS and a variety of meetings it appears that we will not be moving to Office 2007 until the fall of Office 2008. Given the above deployment date:
- Software images will be available for basic testing available of Office 2007 in spring quarter 2008
- Software images will be available for full testing in summer quarter 2008
Office 2007 will be available via Citrix for instructors in next few weeks. Contact the Helpdesk for access.
Prentice Hall will be on campus on Tuesday, 5/8 to demo a simulation program that will allow instructors to teach the Office 2007 products without having them installed on the computers.
ACS is working to make 1 office 2007 test (and file conversion) computer available in ALD hall, the 4th floor of LYN Hall, and MLT 212.
There is no current plan to move to MS Vista in the labs. We will not make the move
until it is necessary for instruction.
- ACS will continue testing Vista
- Once we have a better idea when Vista will be needed we will need assistance from departments with testing to determine what will and will not run on MS Vista. We will also need assistance from departments in obtaining any updated departmentspecific software.
- This topic will remain on the agenda for upcoming CLUG meetings.
After summer quarter 2007 CWU will take on support of their labs in SQL. EdCC students will still have access to these labs.
ALD 102 will receive new computers and LCDs prior to fall quarter 2007. If time allows, the new equipment will be deployed during the break between spring and summer quarter. e are working with student government and the Library to see if all computers on the 3rd and 4th floor of the Library can be replaced.
We have put in a Tech Fee request to have the computers in ALD 101 replaced.
Perpetual Acct project
- We will not be not deleting student accounts and data at the end of this quarter.
- We will be keeping student accounts and data from quarter.
- The long-term goal is to be able to keep student accounts for 1 year after students leave. These students would still have access to Blackboard to get information or make up any incompletes. Students will not have local logon access to the computers in the computer labs when they are not currently enrolled. This should be in place for fall quarter 2007.
- We are working with the Library to implement a Learning Commons.
- What is it? The Learning Commons (LC) is a one-stop study-shop that combines research, IT and learning support services under one roof to enhance the student experience. The physical location of the LC will be in the Library on the 3rd floor of Lynnwood Hall. Phase 1 will include combining the computer lab in the main area of the 4th floor of Lynnwood Hall with the computer lab in the main area of the 3rd floor of Lynnwood Hall. This will combine the services provided in both locations into one central location.
- When might it happen? Phase 1 should be in place for the start of fall quarter 2007.