CLUG Notes January 27, 2005
Welcome – from Jessica Wallace – Hi, I’m the new ACS lab manager. Last time we met, I was the interim manager. Being part of ACS is still very new to me and I am learning a lot. Something that is very important to me and all of ACS is that we support an environment where you can effectively teach and where students can effectively learn. This is something that we cannot do by ourselves; we need your constructive input. We would like CLUG to be a place where you feel comfortable giving input.
Update on Software Timeline – A proposed timeline has been drawn up and we will be meeting with department representatives on 1/28/05 to discuss the proposal. The proposed timeline is a condensed version of the current timeline. More meetings may follow.
Lab schedule last 2 Fridays of the quarter – The Alderwood Labs will be closing at 5:00 PM every Friday. Last quarter we began closing the Alderwood labs at 5:00 PM on Fridays. However, we did stay open until 8:00 PM during the last 2 Fridays of the quarter, to allow students time to study and work on their final projects. Between the two Fridays we had a total of 18 students show up between 5:00 and 8:00. Only about half of the students were actually doing homework. Due to this low turnout, we recommended that we close at 5:00 PM every Friday. This recommendation was taken to Mary Hale, George Smith, Kathy Beem, Rachel Solemsaas, Susan Kostick, and Kevin McKay who okayed the 5:00 PM Friday closure from now on.
Tech Fee Requests – ACS submitted several requests for consideration to the Tech Fee committee
- New chairs for ALD 101, 103, 104, 105 – many of the current chairs are not OSHA-compliant or are old and are literally falling apart.
- Funding for the extension of the warranty on the PowerVault and server that houses, among other things, student and faculty data.
- Hard drive enclosures/rail assemblies and rails for hard drive enclosures for SNO 124 and 125 - These drive enclosures and rails would enable students or instructors to swap hard drives and expand the capability of these labs.
- 17’ LCDs for ALD 102 and SNO 219
- New computers for SNO 219 – The computers in this lab are the oldest out of all of the labs in Alderwood and Snohomish.
Windows XP Service Pack 2 – Windows XP SP2 will be included in our spring images. The service pack has been thoroughly tested by Technical Support Services (Rod Halverson’s team) and we will be thoroughly testing it while we build the spring images.